Save Abbots Leigh meadow from development

Here's the place to post news and events that you think will be of interest to other members.
Alice

Save Abbots Leigh meadow from development

Post by Alice »

Close to where my stepmother lives is a beautiful meadow where skylarks nest, and many species have their homes: butterflies, bats, green winged orchid and so many more. Roots allotments plans to turn this space into allotment plots. It would really help if lots of people sign the petition opposing this destruction of the meadow. Thank you.

https://www.change.org/p/save-abbots-le ... evelopment
Donna Cox

Re: Save Abbots Leigh meadow from development

Post by Donna Cox »

Thank you Alice. I watched the video - how very sad this lovely meadow with its green winged orchids and skylarks is facing great threat. There is a total lack of understanding by the company Roots about wildflower meadows and their national importance. It's an act of vandalism to wilfully destroy it. I hope the Avon Wildlife Trust are helping you with your campaign.
Jon Valters

Post by Jon Valters »

Hi Alice,
I've signed the petition. Like Donna I wondered if your local wildlife trust was helping you? Is it possible the grassland could be defined as ancient? As if so I think an Environmental Impact Assessment is required for a change of use. I think District Councils have been instructed to increase the value of their green and wooded public open spaces by ten per cent so I would hope the Council would not support this proposal.
It sounds as if you are having some success in fighting this but I could try and find more about what protections this this site might have if you need more help. The size of the grassland is important too as wildlife-rich grasslands over 0.5hecatres can be designated as Sites of Special Scientific Interest - but getting this done can be tricky. I wish you success.
LisaSchneidau

Post by LisaSchneidau »

Hello Alice, just checking whether the company has applied for permission to do this under the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations? if grassland has been permanent for more than 15 years (I think from memory) then they need to apply for permission, even to 'improve' the grassland or apply fertiliser. you will need to talk to Natural England about this one. here's the link on gov.uk: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... permission
good luck!
Lisa
Alice

Post by Alice »

Thank you Lisa, that's a really good point. Worth following up!
Alice

Post by Alice »

Jon Valters wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:47 pm Hi Alice,
I've signed the petition. Like Donna I wondered if your local wildlife trust was helping you? Is it possible the grassland could be defined as ancient? As if so I think an Environmental Impact Assessment is required for a
Thanks Jon, I'll pass on your suggestions.
Robin

Post by Robin »

I have signed and sent the link to family in Bristol.