East Anstey Common, Exmoor

Not something you’ll easily find advertised in estate agents, so you can post any news of interesting places here
Steve Pollard
Site Admin

East Anstey Common, Exmoor

Post by Steve Pollard »

139 acres open moorland. Freehold, with vacant possession available.

https://assets.savills.com/properties/G ... 000137.PDF
East Anstey.PDF
(472.59 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Amy

Re: East Anstey Common, Exmoor

Post by Amy »

Thank you, Steve. As I happen to have a spare £750,000 ..
watch this space!

:D
I shouldn't need to dig so deep - this is a much loved area of open access land, much used and enjoyed by the local community. I hope we will be able to continue to walk and ride there. I hope it won't be bought by a pension fund or some polluting company, and turned into trees for carbon credits.

It used to be the site of the Dulverton East Foxhounds Point to Point. The race course was moved in the 1980s. The area is open moorland, with reasonable heather cover, some gorse, and a dew pond. Occasionally red deer can be seen in the tall gorse bushes. The land has been grazed by Exmoor ponies and sheep. There used to be many stonechats every summer, but they don't seem to be so much in evidence nowadays.

The new owner might consider reviving a historical landmark. The southernmost edge road used to run through an avenue of beech trees. Presumably this was in connection with the approach towards the local manor house. In recent years, the roadside hedge has been flailed, the older trees are failing, and there seems to have been little attempt to allow younger trees to grow and to maintain the appearance of the avenue. The beech avenue must have been most impressive, but it is now failing. The beech mast attracts hundreds of chaffinches every year.

Much loved and much used. The locals will be watching. Hopefully, a local farmer will buy it, and maintain it as open moorland.