Availability of Meadow Seed

Have a question? Post it here and the community will answer it.
Nigelllewellyn

Availability of Meadow Seed

Post by Nigelllewellyn »

Can anyone advise where I can obtain the seed I need to plant this coming autumn to help create a meadow? I am in the South Hams, near Aveton Gifford. The field is currently planted with agricultural grass although good numbers of other plants have invaded over recent years - nettle, etc. We have cut all the growth and removed it from the field and will do the same again later in the season and then intend to scarify the ground before seeding. As you can tell we are novices so any advice would be really welcome. Thanks for your help. Nigel Llewellyn
Donna Cox

Re: Availability of Meadow Seed

Post by Donna Cox »

Hi Nigel, you fall within the catchment of the Avon Valley Project as you are near Aveton Gifford. Lynne Kenderdine who runs the project will be delighted to visit you, give advice and provide seed from a local wildflower meadow (all for free!). If you are interested in this, see the post on this Forum in 'Local Groups', 'South Devon' - Avon Valley Meadows Forum:
viewtopic.php?t=164

Also, if by any chance you are free tomorrow, Friday 18th, there is a 'how to create a meadow' workshop running at Goren Farm, near Honiton. Full details here: https://gorenfarmworkshop.eventbrite.co.uk
RaggedRobin

Re: Availability of Meadow Seed

Post by RaggedRobin »

I am just wondering if there is a similar advice group for the Blackdown Hills. We moved into the area this Spring and have a good acre of meadow and we would welcome some advice on how to manage it.
Many thanks, Elaine