Beetle identification

Seen a plant or other wildlife and don't know what it is? Post your description or photo here.
Jane W

Beetle identification

Post by Jane W »

Anyone know what this is? Body length about an inch, and large antlers must have been in region of 2-3 inches.
Attachments
Unknown beetle
Unknown beetle
Beetle
Beetle
Paul O

Re: Beetle identification

Post by Paul O »

Hi Jane - I searched online for large grey beetle long antennae and got lots of U.S. websites showing pictures of the spined oak borer, which looks somewhat similar - maybe it has a relative over here.
Jane W

Re: Beetle identification

Post by Jane W »

Thanks Paul O, your idea gave me a clue as to how to track down this beetle, and from what I can see it IS a kind of wood boring beetle. I think it's Morimus asper.
Normally we have similar flora and fauna here (Brittany) and there (Devon), but on this occasion I think this may be a species not present in the UK, so apologies to all for a post that, as it turns out, may not have any relevance to most people on the forum! I think its most common much further south than here normally, and may be moving northwards ( due to climate warming?) So you never know, you may be seeing them soon! It was a lovely creature, very impressive.