Field scale cut and collect mower with operator

Here's the place to post news and events that you think will be of interest to other members.
Donna Cox

Field scale cut and collect mower with operator

Post by Donna Cox »

Devon Wildlife Trust are thinking about obtaining a cut and collect mower but would like to test the level of interest. Flail mower and collectors can be very useful for accessing areas where it’s not possible to make hay due to steep ground, trees in the way etc. If anyone is interested in hiring a cut and collect flail mower (with operator!) to help manage their meadow later this year please email Simon Tomasso at stomasso@devonwildlifetrust.org.
Steve Pollard
Site Admin

Re: Field scale cut and collect mower with operator

Post by Steve Pollard »

That sounds like a cool piece of kit. Is it an all in one machine (flail + collector) or separate? If the former it wouldn't be suitable for making hay...therefore would the cuttings just have to be composted? And do they have any idea of the rate per day that they are likely to charge?
Simon Tomasso

Post by Simon Tomasso »

A bit late replying to this , appologies.

Thats right Steve, its a flail collector, all cut vegtation would need to be emptied in the field. This usually happens in the form of a coulpe of piles, dependant on field size, tucked in to the edge to compost. Or can be tipped wherever required.

The cost would be reviewed on a case by case basis and whether the land falls within one of our funded working areas or outside.

Regards

Simon
JaneActon
Location: Larcombe, Diptford, Totnes (but actually nearer to South Brent!)

Post by JaneActon »

We have horses and a cutter for hire if anyone is interested (also with an operator!)
Donna Cox

Post by Donna Cox »

Jane, cutting with horses would be a great option for some people - can you let us know the type of ground the horses can cope with - flat presumably best? Roughly what size area can they cover in a day? Is there an optimum time of year you prefer to cut with them? Would August be too late as grasses more rank? Is Dartmoor too far to travel, or are you hoping to stay local? I assume you don't have a baler - would need a team of volunteers to rake up? Sorry for all the questions!
TheField

Post by TheField »

I would be interested in using this cut+collect service
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Thanks for the posting. I would be interested in finding out more. I'll be in touch.
Jempyne

Post by Jempyne »

This sounds like a very helpful option potentially , subject to affordability for Parish Council managed areas which typically are just left mown and cuttings remain in situ. I'm thinking that reducing fertility over time could reduce nettle and dock dominance?
Donna Cox

Post by Donna Cox »

Nettles can dominate but are quite easy to remove by digging them up. It's much easier doing this in early spring when they are around 6" high, before the grass gets growing. I'm not sure reducing fertility will reduce dock load, I have docks in low nutrient pastures too, in areas of previous compaction. It's all a balancing act for me as I do want to keep some dock because they support the dock beetle and often I find shield bugs and other creatures on them. Cutting the seed heads off dock, just after they have fully ripened, but before they drop their seed, works for me in stopping their spread. I do leave patches of nettle in sunny sheltered areas as many moths and butterflies (Red Admiral, Comma, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock) are reliant on stinging nettles for their caterpillars to feed on.
TheField

Post by TheField »

Hi! Is there any news about this service, and if/when it will be offered? I need to organise a cut of some sort asap, and this sounds like an interesting option. Our field is a CWS, if that helps ;) . Thanks!