Bales from established species-rich meadows

Have a question? Post it here and the community will answer it.
bridget

Bales from established species-rich meadows

Post by bridget »

Hello!
we are developing the majority of our field near Ashburton into a species-rich hay meadow. We bought the field last February, so this is only our second summer, but the soil health is already vastly improved.

We would be interested in obtaining some bales from an established species-rich hay meadow to try and introduce seeds for more variety more quickly. Does anyone offer this?

Would we need to pick the bales up immediately after they are made? Would we need to time this with when we make our hay, or is there a little bit of leeway in the days after we have baled? Our meadow is about 3.5 acres.

We have a variety of grasses and some flowers, but as yet no rattle... I dream of orchids, but that will require some patience!

THANK YOU
Donna Cox

Re: Bales from established species-rich meadows

Post by Donna Cox »

Hi Bridget
We will be cutting species-rich meadows here the first week of August and into September when orchids have set seed, weather permitting. I'm between Buckfast Abbey and Holne, so not far from you. I can give you some hay; depends on what quantity you are after. If you want it as green hay, which has the most seed within it, you will really need to collect it the day it is cut here and deposit it on your prepared ground, the same day! Any longer than that and it starts to compost. It's do-able but depends when you intend having your meadow cut? The other option is to take some dried hay bales. This will contain much less seed, but will still contain some. I have introduced orchids onto my land via species-rich dry hay bales previously. The benefit is you can put dried hay down whenever you are ready. £5 a bale. I can give you some additional yellow rattle to get you started. If you want to chat about any of this, please post me a message direct.
Debra Westlake

Re: Bales from established species-rich meadows

Post by Debra Westlake »

Hi Donna

We have a few small bare patches in our orchard and would like some green hay that contains orchid seeds if the timing works out when you are cutting and you have any spare, as we don't appear to have any orchids yet (only on year two though) . Would you be able to let us know when available? Many thanks.

We are happy to offer some of our yellow rattle seed if anyone needs it and can collect it We are close to Totnes.
Thanks
Debra