Neutral grassland / lowland meadow creation - help needed

MVmeadow1

Neutral grassland / lowland meadow creation - help needed

Post by MVmeadow1 »

Hello meadow people,

My name is Ed and I'm a graduate ecologist based in East Devon. I have joined the forum in the hope that I may connect with others with experience or passion for wildflower meadows. I am planning to convert 1.8 hectares of ex-sheep pasture into a habitat mosaic (scrub/meadow/ponds). The field is clay-loamy in texture so holds soil moisture quite well (Lots of cuckooflower); I think it is semi-improved / species-poor neutral grassland (no plant surveys done yet); soil fertility is below recommended levels for meadow species (soil results included below); and it has not been ploughed for close to 10 years. Overall, it appears that rank grasses will become dominant over everything else. Last year I recall common bent, cock's foot, yorkshire fog, meadow foxtail, sweet vernal, rye-grass sp., annual meadow grass.

soil analysis results:
PH: 5.7
Phosphorus: 11 mg/l
Potassium: 100 mg/l

I'd love to eventually achieve lowland meadow condition, although I am conscious that this is not an easy task. Do people think achieving lowland meadow status is possible, all factors considered? What would be the most successful method in achieving this?

Thanks for reading this far, I appreciate it. If you would like to share any opinions / advice from your own experiences, that'd be fantastic! I will regularly check this thread to keep in touch!

Most importantly: Wildflower seeds are CRAZY EXPENSIVE! I am in the process of applying for higher tier capital grants through DEFRA but it only covers 1/4 of the cost to buy the seeds. If there are local suppliers within East Devon I'd love to get in contact to discuss possible greenhay solutions? What other grants / funding is available to get this meadow underway?

If you'd prefer to talk over mobile or zoom or even in person then drop me a pm

All the very best, look forward to speaking to some of you.

Cheers,
Ed
Chapplecroft

Re: Neutral grassland / lowland meadow creation - help needed

Post by Chapplecroft »

where in east devon are you? have you found goren farm? have you considered green hay from somewhere very local?

what's your plans for machinery?
MVmeadow1

Post by MVmeadow1 »

We are located close to Aylesbeare / Woodbury, adjacent to the pebblebed heathland.

I've not found Goren farm, thanks for the pointer, I'll take a look.

I have considered Greenhay I just don't have any connections.

We have a friend who previously kept sheep on the land with access to machinery, that part is all in hand.

I'm familiar with the creation and management, it's more the funding / seeding aspect which I've got no clue about. If you, or someone you know, could help with this, that'd be hugely appreciated.

Additionally, some discussion on which seed mix would be most suitable would be helpful :)
Mark Baker

Post by Mark Baker »

Hi Ed,
We've oversown a 2ha cattle-grazed pasture at Knapp Copse LNR (https://www.devon.gov.uk/environment/ac ... re-reserve) with a wildflower seed mix from Goren Farm a couple of years ago and are now managing it as a hay meadow. Happy to share our experience if you are interested... Email: mark.baker@devon.gov.uk
MVmeadow1

Post by MVmeadow1 »

Hi Mark, thanks for getting in touch. I've just sent you an email, cheers.
GorenFarmSeeds

Post by GorenFarmSeeds »

Hi Ed give me a call and I can help You with a starter mix or some tailings and advice. Also Im interested in harvesting some cardamine pratensis so could do a swap maybe. Cheers Julian.
Amy

Post by Amy »

If I were you, I wouldn't rush to seed it.
That was my own mistake. I have wet clay permanent pasture with similar grasses to you. I sowed seed enthusiastically, and the grass ate it up. i.e. the existing grass smothered any seedlings.

A lot of money and a lot of hope and excitement were wasted.

I tried with bought seed for several years in vain. The ground may look as if there are bare patches in autumn but beware those existing grass roots ready to cover everything thickly and rapidly in May.

The answer for me is intermittent grazing and cutting. These are reducing the clumps of coarse grass. Meanwhile the natural seed bank is regenerating for free. I have also collected seed from nearby hedges and sown it onto mole hills. The wild flowers are spreading well, and my meadow has its own character and doesn't look the same as many others. I have recently bought rattle from Goren which is beginning slowly to spread among the finer grasses, but in my experience, rattle doesn't cope well with, or noticeably reduce, dense coarse grasses or rush. Cut for several years first, then add rattle.
Have a look at this discussion and Plantlife's advice viewtopic.php?p=356#p356,
then if you still want to, top up with bought seed.
Amy

Post by Amy »

"If you already have five or more wild flower species frequently occurring across your site, we recommend letting your meadow regenerate naturally by reinstating hay meadow or pasture management techniques. This naturalistic approach will help to conserve the distinctive character of your local flora, and will be cheaper too"

From the Plantlife Meadows Hub.
https://meadows.plantlife.org.uk/making ... ow-making/