Identify Flower from 1867

Seen a plant or other wildlife and don't know what it is? Post your description or photo here.
Avsie

Identify Flower from 1867

Post by Avsie »

Hi
I recently inherited a book called 'The Basket Of Flowers' gifted to a family member in 1867. Inside was a flower that is believed to have been put inside around the time. Can anyone identify this plant? Thanks.
Capture.JPG
IMG_20221115_211605 (2).jpg
Steve Pollard
Site Admin

Re: Identify Flower from 1867

Post by Steve Pollard »

Kind of looks like lavender - does it still smell?
AlexWorsleyDWT

Post by AlexWorsleyDWT »

It's self-heal - Prunella vulgaris
Jane W

Post by Jane W »

Lovely book. It does look like lavender but I'm offering another possibility. Its a bit of an outsider but it was the first thing that came to mind when I saw your photo. Betony.
I've joined a couple of photos of betony in my field, and a dried head...the dried one looks much more spiky I know, but if it was pressed when still fresh, it would appear less so.
I also got a nice book from my grandfather, not as old as yours, more like turn of the century ( actually can't find a date in it anywhere), but I treasure it.
Attachments
_20230305_154507.JPG
Dried head, betony
Dried head, betony
Betony, august 2021
Betony, august 2021
Avsie

Post by Avsie »

Steve Pollard wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:06 pm Kind of looks like lavender - does it still smell?
Thanks for the reply - yes it could be lavender couldn't it! No it just smells of moth balls as it was kept in a box with them. The overpowering smell is like a freshly creosoted fence.
Avsie

Post by Avsie »

Jane W wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:50 pm Lovely book. It does look like lavender but I'm offering another possibility. Its a bit of an outsider but it was the first thing that came to mind when I saw your photo. Betony.
I've joined a couple of photos of betony in my field, and a dried head...the dried one looks much more spiky I know, but if it was pressed when still fresh, it would appear less so.
I also got a nice book from my grandfather, not as old as yours, more like turn of the century ( actually can't find a date in it anywhere), but I treasure it.
Thanks - yes I can fully appreciate how you would treasure your book. Something physical left from the past. Magical. It could be Betony looking at photos online. A great suggestion. I am going to have to read the book (I bought a modern copy from Amazon) and see if there are any clues in it - I know the book was bought because the first names of the characters matched those of my family. Maybe there is more significance to the flower than I thought. If I find out i'll let you know.
Jane W

Post by Jane W »

Hi Alex...for some reason your post didn't appear until today, so I posted my reply before I'd seen yours! Sorry.
AlexWorsleyDWT

Post by AlexWorsleyDWT »

No problem at all! :D