Devon Harvest Mouse Project

Here's the place to post news and events that you think will be of interest to other members.
Donna Cox

Devon Harvest Mouse Project

Post by Donna Cox »

Over 40 people came to our Moor Meadows training day today at Holne, Dartmoor. After an indoor session, learning all about harvest mice, including looking at Pop and the girls, theory was put into practice and we surveyed a field at Brook Manor and found 13 nests. A great result and the most nests found yet this season!

Thank you everyone who came and made it such a lovely day, and especially Sarah from Devon Mammals Group for giving a wonderfully informative talk and training session.

Find out more about Devon's Harvest Mouse Project and how to submit findings of harvest mice nests here:
https://devonharvestmouseproject.edublogs.org/

Indoors.jpg
hunting.jpg
Foundone.jpg
nestfinding.jpg
Treasure.jpg
wovennest.jpg
Attachments
WEN28554.jpg
WEN28492.jpg
WEN28486.jpg
WEN28554.jpg
Paul O

Re: Devon Harvest Mouse Project

Post by Paul O »

Thank you Donna for publicising the harvest mouse project. A week later when walking through the field below our garden I remembered this and we spent a few minutes looking for harvest mouse nests in a neglected rough area, and my wife, who misses little, found one in the second tuft of grass she checked. I've seen a harvest mouse only once in my life (in a hedge at Nettacott, East Devon, around 30 years ago), so it's very pleasing to discover we have them using our field, and we shall continue to bestow benign neglect on this area!