Hedgelaying

A place to discuss other habitat management, from trees to hedge, ponds to scrub and more.
clemclem

Re: Hedgelaying

Post by clemclem »

Hello all

Can anyone advise please - I received a delivery of 600 hedgerow trees just as the really cold weather came just before Christmas. Due to frozen ground (and then being away over holiday season) I couldn't plant them, so I temporarily put them in a trench at 45 degrees, with roots covered (as this seemed to be the advice).

Does anyone know how long I can leave them like that before planting properly? The ground now is so completely drenched, I'm keen to avoid a long week on my knees in the wet mud - so hoping I can leave it until things dry out a little....but don't want them all to die!

Any advice much appreciated
jennymsaunders

Post by jennymsaunders »

Hi Phillip, really interesting 'before and after' pictures of your hedge at Denbury. Do you know how many years it will take for the hedge to become stock proof? I would love to get my 2acre garden/meadow hedge laid, but have dogs which need to be kept in, so am concerned about getting the hedge done, and having to have a secondary fence for years to keep the dogs in. Any thoughts on my dilemma? :)
jennymsaunders

Post by jennymsaunders »

Hi Clem, A few years ago I left bare root yew plants heeled in through the worst of the weather and only planted them out properly in March. They were fine. March/April are good planting months for all plants. They are unlikely to make new root growth until the weather warms up. The important thing is that they stay moist and don't get completely frozen at the roots. I recommend using 'root grow' to help get them established. Best of luck.
sarah jameson

Post by sarah jameson »

The only issue with planting in March/April is that there is now a trend of warm, dry springs and summers which can make establishment difficult for young hedge trees - depending on location/soils etc. You may need to consider mulching them to retain moisture? Jan/Feb is a good time to plant.
sarah jameson

Post by sarah jameson »

Jenny re laying the hedge and your dogs - a laid hedge done well should be stock (and dog!) proof. Are you concerned about them getting under/through or over?! I have lurchers and used to have one that could jump high. Before we got our hedge laid our current lurcher did get under the hedge once through a hole, so we had it laid. A hedgelayer will add in thorny brash etc into any holes if you ask them to ensure there are no gaps?
Philip Brown

Post by Philip Brown »

jennymsaunders wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:23 pm Hi Phillip, really interesting 'before and after' pictures of your hedge at Denbury. Do you know how many years it will take for the hedge to become stock proof? I would love to get my 2acre garden/meadow hedge laid, but have dogs which need to be kept in, so am concerned about getting the hedge done, and having to have a secondary fence for years to keep the dogs in. Any thoughts on my dilemma? :)
Hi Jenny we are fortunate in having a wide variety of woody species approaching 10 in a 30 metre stretch in places indicative of ancient hedgerows Also we have plenty of blackthorn , hawthorn holly and dog rose. This makes regeneration of a stock and dog proof barrier easier. A good hedgelayer will make the most of available material and spiky brash will help.

Dogs and livestock that do stray from there familiar surroundings are potentially a risk to themselves and others so I understand your dilemma.

I plan to fence the hedges as well to keep neighbours livestock safe as well as our own. Also to protect the rare flora and fauna ,nesting birds and marginal wildlife free from disturbance. But a good impenetrable garden hedge will keep unwanted visitors out as well. Good luck
jennymsaunders

Post by jennymsaunders »

sarah jameson wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:44 am Jenny re laying the hedge and your dogs - a laid hedge done well should be stock (and dog!) proof. Are you concerned about them getting under/through or over?! I have lurchers and used to have one that could jump high. Before we got our hedge laid our current lurcher did get under the hedge once through a hole, so we had it laid. A hedgelayer will add in thorny brash etc into any holes if you ask them to ensure there are no gaps?
Thanks Sarah. My dalies with go through mainly, although the younger will jump when extra excited. We have blackthorn in the hedge, so thorny brash would be available. This is encouraging and I think I will get down to asking for quotes. Thanks again.