404 flowering herbaceous species found

Here's the place to post news and events that you think will be of interest to other members.
Stefan

404 flowering herbaceous species found

Post by Stefan »

A year-long survey of the Sid valley’s wild flowers has found over 400 different species, many of them recorded 170 years ago by a local doctor and amateur botanist.

This report is the culmination of a years recording by a group of volunteers in the Sid Valley and is a benchmark in which to plan future work.

https://sidvalleybiodiversity.org.uk/a- ... d-flowers/
Richard Lewis

Re: 404 flowering herbaceous species found

Post by Richard Lewis »

This is an excellent project, congratulations on an excellent report which clears shows a lot of detailed work and knowledge by a dedicated group. I wondered if you have conferred with Roger Smith, the vascular plant recorder for South Devon, for both the Devonshire Association and the Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland? The BSBI has a very useful plant distribution database of plant records spanning several centuries, which may be useful to help develop your project further, for example to help you identify species missed during your survey, or help correct any minor errors. One possible error I noticed is Hypericum undulatum - you are well outside the range for this species in Devon - is this an error, a well-intentioned 'wildflower' garden introduction, or an expansion of the known range of this species?

I see that you are aiming to expand your coverage of graminoids this year. If you're not already familiar with them, I would recommend the fold-out ID sheets from FSC as well as the booklets by Faith Anstey (https://www.wildflowerstudy.co.uk/) which are great to help beginners or those less confident with grasses etc. I look forward to hearing your update next year!
Ed Dolphin

Post by Ed Dolphin »

Hi, thank you.
Yes, I am in touch with Roger and he is considering some of the records.
As we are all amateurs in the group, I expected a few mistakes. I am working with Sidmouth Museum on a new interactive biodiversity display and, checking the list carefully, I have noticed things like two entries for Monkey Flower but under different Latin names, Mimulus and Erythranthre. Working with a Victorian list has been a real challenge in the names department, but part of the fun.
Three that Roger questioned are wrong and to be removed from the published list.
The Hypericum undulatum was one of mine, up on the East Hill Strips east of Ottery St Mary. I cannot remember exactly what took me through the key to Wavy. Looking at the picture, I am not totally convinced and I will be going back. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/95521166
Stefan or I will post updates when we have them.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Thanks Richard.

I’ve asked the author to reply and he is waiting for his request to join the group is approved.
Amy

Post by Amy »

Engagingly written, and the historical uses are interesting. You have inspired me to find out more about the dandelion, and your lyrical description of the marsh thistle has made me pause for thought. Would you please expand on what management will be done to encourage the grasshoppers and crickets?