Funding for hedgerow projects

Here's the place to post news and events that you think will be of interest to other members.
Jon Valters

Funding for hedgerow projects

Post by Jon Valters »

I recently emailed the Chief Executive of the Tree Council about the appalling management of many of Devon's hedges. The Council launched the first National Hedgerow Week last month. I was keen to find out if they were lobbying Government to reward farmers for managing hedges for wildlife and to mitigate climate change. The Council's Chief Executive, Sara Lom replied to say they were speaking with Defra, the NFU and others and would continue to press for better hedgerow legislation and management. She also said that the Council had funding for tree and hedge-related projects through their Close the Gap campaign and invited More Meadows members to apply. However having looked on their website there doesn't seem to be any information about how to apply. If anyone is interested let me know and I will contact Sara Lom to try and find out more. Here's a link to their website - https://treecouncil.org.uk/our-members/close-the-gap/
sarah jameson

Re: Funding for hedgerow projects

Post by sarah jameson »

Keep an eye on CPRE, the Countryside Charity - they are lobbying for greater protection for hedgerows and have carried out research on the environmental and economic benefits of restoring the UK’s hedgerow network. and will be presenting this to the House of Commons in September. They are also running a major pilot hedgerow project this year (our branch is one of the 5 taking part) - we are creating hedges, restoring old, tired ones, running hedgelaying training and a organising series of hedgerow walks and talks as well as reaching out to schools. Contact your nearest CPRE branch for details? Tree Council, as you say, are funding hedgerow creation as part of their Green Recovery Challenge Fund project.
jackieandrade

Post by jackieandrade »

I would be interested in knowing more. Greener Ugborough Parish has a hedges group where we aspire to work with local landowners to lay hedges rather than flail them, but having some money could really help change behaviour
Sally Hopej

Post by Sally Hopej »

FWAG East in partnership with the Tree Council have received funding for a project under the Green Recovery Fund called “Close the Gap”. FWAG SW are also involved so if you are interested in small grants to help with hedgerow gapping up then please contact FWAGSW 01823 660684 of email info@fwagsw.org.uk stating you are in Devon and interested in this project. Some initial details:
Expressions of interest open now, closes on 1st September 2021.
Planting must take place between 01/11/2021 – 30/01/2022(!!)
Applications are on a first come first serve basis.
£7.50 per metre for gapping up or new hedgerows.
Minimum length 100m / Max 1500m

Regards
Sally Hope Johnson
I was born and brought up around Dartmoor and make my living as a farm conservation adviser assisting farmers and landowners in South Devon and Dartmoor.
I am a keen walker and can be seen several times a week on the southern moor!
Sue Rogers

Post by Sue Rogers »

Thanks for this post and links. I am very interested. I plan to repair the boundary hedge on our recently acquired woodland. It was damaged by historic tree felling, relocating the entrance and many years of over zealous flailing!
Jon Valters

Post by Jon Valters »

Thank you for replies to my earlier post. I have now sent a follow-up email to the CEO of the Tree Council asking for more information about the grants available for tree and hedge related projects. When I hear back I will put any useful information in a new post.
Jon