Bumblebees of Devon Atlas + Conservation Guide - by Patrick Saunders, edited by Cathy Horsley

Here's the place to post news and events that you think will be of interest to other members.
Amy

Bumblebees of Devon Atlas + Conservation Guide - by Patrick Saunders, edited by Cathy Horsley

Post by Amy »

(This must be already in Resources, as it is so locally relevant and has input by John Walters and Audrey Compton, but I haven't seen it. Please delete this post if so.)

https://www.bumblebeeconservation.org/w ... -10.19.pdf

A great tool for managing land to help bumblebees.

Contents:
What are bumblebees? (nationally rare species in Devon),
Ecology (lifecyle inc. where they nest/pollen is crucial/61% of visits to pea family)
Distribution in Devon. Decline

Gardening for Bumblebees (very useful) (Perennial meadows produce up to 20 times more nectar, 6 times more pollen than annual meadow/dandelions, ragwort, thistle extremely important/vetches, clovers, broom, trefoil, bean vegetables, = top priority superfoods/include herbs, mints, deadnettles, comfrey etc etc/top meadow pollen producers = musk mallow, knapweed, ox-eye daisy/plant at least 10 of each flower species otherwise like 50 brands of baked beans/important to have sunny areas/single not double flowers
- list of specific recommended plants
- suitable nesting habitat
– wildflower lawn management

Meadows – timing of cuttings

Sowing treatments for different wild seeds

Audrey Compton. Tribute to Malcolm Spooner. Calling for records of both rare and common bumblebees.

Individual bumblebee species – which flowers they visit (useful aid to identification), nests, how to manage land to help, where found
Cathy Horsley

Re: Bumblebees of Devon Atlas + Conservation Guide - by Patrick Saunders, edited by Cathy Horsley

Post by Cathy Horsley »

Thanks for sharing this Amy! If anyone has any questions or wants to get in touch, please email me at cathy.horsley@bumblebeeconservation.org
David Crook

Re: Bumblebees of Devon Atlas + Conservation Guide - by Patrick Saunders, edited by Cathy Horsley

Post by David Crook »

Thanks Amy. You are correct its not in the resources on the Moor Meadows website but is now! David
Amy

Post by Amy »

Cathy, I was absolutely delighted to find this; I've been looking for exactly this information all over the internet - which flowers/habitats for what BBee species and where each species occur so I can narrow down identification - for 2-3 years and somehow I had not previously seen it on the Bumblebee Conservation Trust website even though I've been a member for that time.

David - now it's in resources and if Cathy agrees, feel free to delete this post and replies to save clutter if you think appropriate. Thanks.

Return to “News and Events”