South Hams meadows

jennymsaunders

South Hams meadows

Post by jennymsaunders »

I just registered and hoped to see if there were other meadows in the South Hams (which is where I am). But there are no posts on that page. I can't have the only meadow - can I? No surely not! :(
Richard Lewis

Re: South Hams meadows

Post by Richard Lewis »

We have 3 acres at Coummunity Orchard Week (next to Dartington) where we're aiming to restore the grassland under the fruit trees.
Claire

Post by Claire »

Hi we are in Moreleigh and have been working on our wild flower meadow for 4 years- it’s slow but getting there !
Yellow rattle increasing every year. We grazed first 2 winters for only a few weeks at a time but haven’t for last 2 for logistical reasons. I def think grazing speeds things up !
We are also members of Avon Valley Project - all great fun x Claire.
Lynda

Post by Lynda »

Hi - I am hoping to start a meadow when we move in September- close to Modbury- so I am interested in any posts of meadows in the area - and especially anyone who can advise where to start- thanks
jennymsaunders

Post by jennymsaunders »

Richard Lewis wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:24 am We have 3 acres at Coummunity Orchard Week (next to Dartington) where we're aiming to restore the grassland under the fruit trees.
[/quote Hi Richard, what fruit trees are you growing? How often do you cut the grass?]
jennymsaunders

Post by jennymsaunders »

Claire wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:43 pm Hi we are in Moreleigh and have been working on our wild flower meadow for 4 years- it’s slow but getting there !
Yellow rattle increasing every year. We grazed first 2 winters for only a few weeks at a time but haven’t for last 2 for logistical reasons. I def think grazing speeds things up !
We are also members of Avon Valley Project - all great fun x Claire.
[/quote Hi Clare, how often and when do you cut the meadow? We tend to do a cut in about February to try and cut back the tough stuff like docks, then we do a big cut end July, August when it is about 12 - 18 inches high, and then intermittent cuts until the autumn/winter. I have spring bulbs in one bit, so like to keep the sward low, so that they show up through the spring.]
jennymsaunders

Post by jennymsaunders »

Lynda- yellow rattle is the most important seed to get. Buy it in August time, and sow it fresh. It took 2 to 3 years for mine to start to be self replicating each year. The seed also likes a cold period, so with our mild winters I sometimes kept a bit back and put it in the fridge for a couple of weeks before sewing it in the autumn.
Richardpowell

Post by Richardpowell »

Hi all we have just joined - about 30 seconds ago. We are at the very beginning of the process of restoring old semi- improved pasture just outside Blackawton/Cotterbury to flower meadow after a chat with Plantlife, who thought that what we had was worth persevering with. So will be looking for loads of advice!
sandym

Post by sandym »

Hi I am new to this Forum and hoping to develop some ungrazed pasture into a small meadow in land SE of Totnes. I am looking forward to learning more from those of you further down the meadow creating path. Currently the land is covered in tussocky grass, nettles and docks with some hogweed. It is acid clay soil and high in nutrients on south facing slope. There are very few flowers (and therefore insects) which I am hoping to improve on . all advice gratefully received on how to start.
sarah jameson

Post by sarah jameson »

Nettles, dock and hogweed are all signs of high nutrient levels in the soil leading to these sorts of plants dominating. Tussocky grass indicates low or under grazing (often more 'damaging' to grassland/meadow plants than overgrazing). You may need to start from scratch and remove the top layer of soil (the nutrient rich layer) and sow a wildflower mix (usually 75 to 80pc wild meadow grasses and the rest wildflower, including yellow rattle). If you have access to livestock bring them on to your meadow once it's mown (and grass removed) in the early autumn and leave them on until winter/early spring. They will help keep the more vigorous grasses down. Establishing a wildflower meadow is likely to take time (years) and you will have to be patient! The key will be in removing grass offsite to gradually lower the nutrient levels.The other thing to say is that nettles/dock/hogweed are usually great plants for insects! If I were you I'd try and get a site visit from someone who knows about meadows and how to create/restore them and get some one to one advice since each site is different. Are there any wildflower meadows near you (with same soil)? Best of luck!