Mid Devon newbie 👋

Have a question? Post it here and the community will answer it.
AliB

Mid Devon newbie 👋

Post by AliB »

Hello from Mid Devon - keen to know if there’s anyone else from here ... enthusiastic ignorant newbie keen to improve my patch. Anyone else in these parts?
Jackyindevon

Re: Mid Devon newbie 👋

Post by Jackyindevon »

Hello
I’m in Mid Devon and am in the process of starting a small patch of wildflowers on bare soil. This will be alongside an area of the garden that I have left unmown for the last 2 years.
It would be great to hear what you’re thinking of doing in your own garden.
mike jefferies

Post by mike jefferies »

I am located between Crediton and Tiverton and have been doing this for a good number of years. If I can be of any help just let me know. Mike.
Jackyindevon

Post by Jackyindevon »

Thank you, that’s very kind. I have a small area that is bare soil at present in readiness for a sowing of Devon Meadow seed mix. However, the soil is pretty hard and very difficult to get enough tilth to give the seed the best chance of germinating. My plan is to purchase enough top soil in bags to spread on top and then to sow the seed. Perhaps you would let me know your thoughts on this please?
SimonTownley

Post by SimonTownley »

Hi all, I'm also in Mid Devon, about five miles outside Tiverton. I have a modest field, 0.7 of an acre, which I've spent 5 or 6 years trying to convert into something like a meadow. It has very vigorous grass and plenty of nettles, dock etc, but I've managed to get plenty of yellow rattle going, which is helping me to fight back. I've had a lot of success with the normal, colourful, cornfield annuals, but I'm also beginning to see lesser known meadow species, such as wild carrot, cowslip, teasels, etc.

Jacky - I'm not sure you need a fine tilth to be sowing wildflower seeds. Adding topsoil might only encourage the grass. One of the main techniques for getting a meadow going is to strip away the topsoil to impoverish it. I haven't done this myself, preferring the yellow rattle route to keeping the grass under control. You would probably get away with scarifying or just raking the ground quite hard, then walking over it once you've sown the seed to press them in a little.
Tracey Hamston

Post by Tracey Hamston »

Hi, Yes I agree. Topsoil is generally far too fertile and you will be endlessly battling tough grasses and other vigorous plants.
There is a lovely case study you might be interested in, where a meadow was created from scratch after stripping off the topsoil and selling it! See https://moormeadows.org.uk/me-and-my-me ... ay-meadow/
Jackyindevon

Post by Jackyindevon »

Thank you everyone for your useful advice. I have now raked over the bare soil (no added top soil!) and sown the wildflower meadow seed mix, treating it in lightly before watering. The ground is very dry with no rain forecast in the coming week so since sowing the seed I have watered it again. I’m planning on watering every couple of days until this dry spell ends as I guess otherwise the seed will die? Very much hoping for positive results 🤞. Much appreciate your advice. 😊