A wildlife corridor for the Yealm Valley?

Peter Brown

A wildlife corridor for the Yealm Valley?

Post by Peter Brown »

I wonder how much interest there might be in forming a Wildlife Corridor along the Yealm Valley?
I am presently working up a proposal for the Yealm Community Energy, a Community Benefit Society.

Basically the idea would be to restore habitats along the length of the river from source on the moor to outlet on the coast. Human obstructions - fences, walls, railways and roads - would have to be by-passed, and fragmented woodland and meadow restored and joined up. The focus would be on facilitating free wildlife movement - invertebrates, amphibians, mammals, fish, birds and bats - rather than human, though responsible human recreation would be encouraged as long as it did not interfere with wildlife, and some sections already have permitted bridlepaths and footpaths.

Professional guidance would be sought to ensure mistakes were not made, and of course landowner's permission would have to be negotiated first. I believe success could only be ensured if local people would be involved in the plantings and maintenance, so it is important to first be certain that there would be local support for such a venture. If there is, then a more detailed posting would be made to this Forum about the project.
Chris Forrest

Re: A wildlife corridor for the Yealm Valley?

Post by Chris Forrest »

Great idea Peter our few acres are already totally chemical free. WBR Chris
AlexandraB

Post by AlexandraB »

That sounds brilliant, I’m interested. (We are in Burraton.)
Bee-wild

Post by Bee-wild »

This is of interest to the newly-formed Yealmpton Environment Group who are keen to learn more at the meeting on Feb 5th
Lynne Kenderdine

Post by Lynne Kenderdine »

Hello Peter,

I'm Lynne Kenderdine. Land Management Advisory Officer with Devon Wildlife Trust.
We have been engaged with the Avon Valley Project for several years, actively doing what you are suggesting for the Yealm. I'm happy to discuss with you. Perhaps you'd like to email me - lkenderdine@devonwildlifetrust.org - & we can arrange a time to talk/meet. Best wishes. Lynne