Can we develop a wildlife corridor in the Yealm Valley with your help?

Peter Brown

Can we develop a wildlife corridor in the Yealm Valley with your help?

Post by Peter Brown »

I would like to thank those who have responded to my first mailing and to add information and put out a request

We will be looking for volunteers for this exciting long-term restoration project from those of you who live in the vicinity of the River Yealm. This will be to help in supervised working groups in your locality when the seeding and sowing and tree planting season is here, and Covid restrictions allow. Yealm Community Energy(www.yealmenergy.co.uk) are developing a project to create a wildlife corridor, with the support of the local farmers, along the length of the river, bypassing obstructions and improving the natural habitats along the way. This may involve developing species-rich meadows or woodland, whichever is most appropriate in that location according to our professional advisors.

This community-led project is intended to be an all-round win-win. A win for plant and animal biodiversity first and foremost; a win for the farmer through the Countryside Stewardship and ELM schemes; and a win for the local population knowing they have done something positive to mitigate the Climate and Ecological Emergency. Yes, we ARE all in this together!

If you are part of a local community group, or an individual, concerned about the environment in this area, and would be interested in helping bring the project to reality by joining the Steering Group or a working party, please contact me. At the moment we lack a contact with the upper Yealm around Cornwood or from the Parks Authority.