Yellow Rattle

clemclem

Yellow Rattle

Post by clemclem »

Hello all
Is anyone able to point me to a local supplier of Yellow Rattle? I'm looking to sow a fair amount - enough for about 10 acres - this autumn (I believe that's the best time?) as part of an attempt to get a wildflower meadow going.
I'm based in Bridgerule, between Holsworthy and Bude.
Any pointers greatly appreciated!
Many thanks
Clem
Jon Snow

Re: Yellow Rattle

Post by Jon Snow »

I'd ask Julian at Goren Farm, east of Honiton.

https://www.goren.co.uk/collections/wil ... attle-seed

The deer have eaten a lot of ours this year, so it must be good! It did alright last year, which was the first year.
clemclem

Post by clemclem »

Many thanks Jon - I'll try that
nickygradyscott

Post by nickygradyscott »

I started with 600 grams of Rattle on a 4.5 acre field in Chagford - I sowed it in Autumn over a period of time into molehills mainly and any poached or bare looking areas to get best seed contact with the soil. I now have it all over - if you want to come and collect some I do charge a bit but if you collect your own (I use a sweep net) you can use my sieves to clean it up a bit - you will ineveitably get some other seed as well
Paul O

Post by Paul O »

I can vouch for Julian's seed, if you can't find any nearer to home. There's no need to spend hundreds of pounds on enough seed for 10 acres unless you're in a hurry - sowing in bare patches in autumn works well, so long as you mow/graze the grass as low as possible by late winter/early spring.

Last autumn we tried some of Julian's fresh meadow hay, chucking it off the lorry onto long, rough grass as fast as possible on a horrible wet and windy day. We were lucky to get some Exmoor ponies on the field between November and January; they did a brilliant job of stamping-in the hay and eating-off all the rough growth in the field, and we were surprised at the masses of yellow rattle that came up from the hay (and a bit annoyed to see some patches where the deer must have bitten-off the flowers).

Yellow rattle coming up amongst Yorkshire fog, dock & buttercup for the first time, 19th May 2022.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Can someone please advise on the best time and method for collecting yellow rattle seed
Donna Cox

Post by Donna Cox »

Hi Paul

My Yellow Rattle is setting seed now and will continue to do so for at least the next few weeks. Plants in the shade will take that bit longer. I collect mine with a cardboard box held under the plant - I tap the plant with a cane. Other people have their own methods. Try the 'search' function to see what others have said (click on the three pink bars by Unread Posts and it's in the drop down menu).

Donna