The start of my woodland and meadow creation journey.

Peter Brown

Re: The start of my woodland and meadow creation journey.

Post by Peter Brown »

Hi,
We are starting a Micro-Tree nursery in our parish, and have constructed the raised bed ready for tree seeds in autumn - BUT it would be great if we could advance a year by sourcing germinated tree seed from last autumn to plant in the bed now ...... but we have been unable to source any.

Does anyone know where we could source germinated tree seeds to plant in a growing on bed now, for field planting in 2-3 years?
Peter Brown
Amy

Post by Amy »

Peter
If the roads haven't been swept near you, then it is worth keeping an eye on the muddy leaf litter from this winter under roadside trees.
Moggy
Great photos.
Jon Valters

Post by Jon Valters »

Hi Moggy,
Wow you are getting on with things!

Although its a shame that large tree limb came down it looks as if might have created a great future roost site for bats - and standing or fallen dead wood is such a valuable wildlife habitat.
Good luck with all you're doing.
best wishes
Jon
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Thanks Jon, the hard physical work of planting (my knees, ouch) is done now. Next is the woodlands. It has been unmanaged for a long time, it has lots of tangled trees, copious old fallen wood and appears to be the “home” for a pair of roe deer. Brilliant.
I will invite you to pop up from your place soon. Love to visit your place too. Unfortunately I broke my wrist yesterday, so I will not be down for a while.
On the meadow side, not so good. Docks and grass only, maybe next year it will flower.
Jon Valters

Post by Jon Valters »

Hi Moggy,
Apologies I didn't see your reply until today. I'm sorry to hear about your wrist. Yes I'd love to visit when you're next down and have time.
best wishes
Jon