Mary Tavy Nature Projects

MTNatureProjects

Mary Tavy Nature Projects

Post by MTNatureProjects »

Hi I’m fairly new to meadows but am looking at wildflower seeding an unused area of our community field in Mary Tavy. Where’s the best place to get seeds, and what the best mix to use to help pollinators most? Seen you can get no/low grass mixes are these best for pollinators? Has anyone done a similar project who could help me get started?
simoncheek

Re: Mary Tavy Nature Projects

Post by simoncheek »

Hi there's a number of seed suppliers but Goren Farm https://www.goren.co.uk in Honiton have a good reputation.I've bought yellow rattle from them and they were helpful and efficient.
Simon
simoncheek

Post by simoncheek »

Sorry- should have said- others on this forum will have better knowledge of which specific mixes are best for pollinators and suitable for your area.
Simon
Hilary Marshall

Post by Hilary Marshall »

Good morning.
It may be possible to gather seed locally from a contact I have further up the Tavy valley, depending on the soil type (is it imported topsoil or local material, what has been the previous management - any fertiliser, weedkiller ?etc) and underlying geology. I am unfamiliar with how this forum works, but can you email me separately with a map of the site and I could try and visit if you would like me to, once lockdown is over.
Hilary