Yellow Rattle

clemclem

Yellow Rattle

Post by clemclem »

Hello all
Is anyone able to point me to a local supplier of Yellow Rattle? I'm looking to sow a fair amount - enough for about 10 acres - this autumn (I believe that's the best time?) as part of an attempt to get a wildflower meadow going.
I'm based in Bridgerule, between Holsworthy and Bude.
Any pointers greatly appreciated!
Many thanks
Clem
Jon Snow

Re: Yellow Rattle

Post by Jon Snow »

I'd ask Julian at Goren Farm, east of Honiton.

https://www.goren.co.uk/collections/wil ... attle-seed

The deer have eaten a lot of ours this year, so it must be good! It did alright last year, which was the first year.
clemclem

Post by clemclem »

Many thanks Jon - I'll try that
nickygradyscott

Post by nickygradyscott »

I started with 600 grams of Rattle on a 4.5 acre field in Chagford - I sowed it in Autumn over a period of time into molehills mainly and any poached or bare looking areas to get best seed contact with the soil. I now have it all over - if you want to come and collect some I do charge a bit but if you collect your own (I use a sweep net) you can use my sieves to clean it up a bit - you will ineveitably get some other seed as well
Paul O

Post by Paul O »

I can vouch for Julian's seed, if you can't find any nearer to home. There's no need to spend hundreds of pounds on enough seed for 10 acres unless you're in a hurry - sowing in bare patches in autumn works well, so long as you mow/graze the grass as low as possible by late winter/early spring.

Last autumn we tried some of Julian's fresh meadow hay, chucking it off the lorry onto long, rough grass as fast as possible on a horrible wet and windy day. We were lucky to get some Exmoor ponies on the field between November and January; they did a brilliant job of stamping-in the hay and eating-off all the rough growth in the field, and we were surprised at the masses of yellow rattle that came up from the hay (and a bit annoyed to see some patches where the deer must have bitten-off the flowers).

Yellow rattle coming up amongst Yorkshire fog, dock & buttercup for the first time, 19th May 2022.

Return to “West Devon”