Saying hello

Kim

Saying hello

Post by Kim »

It seems a pity that Torridge doesn't have any posts, as I am sure there are things going on here. As people have mentioned the natural environment does not divide easily into political boundaries. We are inland at Winkleigh, so we are an area of wet, rushy meadows, moor, much 'improved' grassland, streams and woodland - we are unlike the coast or the river valley of the Torridge River. We have a village project to improve species on the verges. Most are docks, dandelions and dense grasses at present. We also have a small community biodiversity area. Glad to hear from others nearby.
Jon Valters

Re: Saying hello

Post by Jon Valters »

Hi Kim,
Thank you for your post. I recently set up a More Meadows group in West Devon and we wondered whether people in the Torridge area might like to join our group - at least until there's a closer one to you? I live near St Giles on the Heath (between Holsworthy and Launceston) so I'm a little distance from you but we have other members that are closer. We've set up a small steering group of five people that includes someone from Launceston (we're happy to hear from Cornishl people too!) and a farm advisor from the Devon Wildlife Trust. Its fantastic that you are running a verges project and have a community biodivrsity area. We have members that are also working on wildflower verges so I could possibly put you in touch with those members if it might help? It is obviously an advantage if people are close to you but people can also help from a distance particularly if they have experience of working on a similiar project. Anyway please don't think you're completely on your own!
Kim

Post by Kim »

Thanks for the reply. We are still pursuing the verges project in Winkleigh, though I am only involved in plant surveys. The main volunteer is buying in non-local UK seed, so no idea whether all those species will take. I am starting another project in the sports field, but favour restoration rather than immediately introducing new species.
Adrian Thomas

Post by Adrian Thomas »

Just in case you are interested in scythe mowing I trained the volunteer group set up by Jo Pullin for the ‘Life on the Verge project’, based in Hatherleigh.
https://www.devon.gov.uk/environment/wi ... r-wildlife
The group is still running and led by Jo though the formal project is complete. Meanwhile Jo is the project officer for the Devon Biosphere Conservation Communities.
What is the Conservation Communities Project?
Jo is working with people in the 11 parishes between Great Torrington and Hatherleigh to record as much about the natural environment as we can.
Apologies if this is a repeat and you know all this.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Hi Adrian, thanks. I do know about Jo. We were part of Life on the Verge. I also attended lots of Conservation Communities webinars and the Dolton Wildlife Day. Winkleigh is outside her project area. We have a scythe at home, but my husband found it a strain on his body, so it's not being used. I am hesitant to try it, as I also get neck and shoulder problems some times. I think you need to be pretty fit to use one.
Adrian Thomas

Post by Adrian Thomas »

Hi Kim,
I am a scythe addict so please forgive my next question - is the scythe a modern one or one of the curly snath types?
I believe anyone can learn to scythe as long as they can stand and have good balance. However although they look simple tools they do need to be set up correctly, the mowing technique has to be right and the blade needs to be kept sharp.
I would be happy to come over and give some guidance if of interest.
Jon Valters

Using a scythe

Post by Jon Valters »

Hi Adrian,
I help run a More Meadows group in West Devon and use an Austrian scythe on a regular basis. I'd welcome some tuition and I'll ask if others in our group may be interested. it would be useful to know how much you charge for a course if there is interest from other people witghin the group.It would also be useful to know how long you feel the course would need to be to teach people how to use and sharpen a scythe correctly. My email is jon.valters@btinternet.com if you'd rather reply just to me.
best wishes
Jon
Adrian Thomas

Post by Adrian Thomas »

Hi Jon,
Thank you for your enquiry.

I have sent you an e mail with a full reply, but just wanted to say I run a scythe beginners course that takes a day for a group, and a morning (or until you run out steam) for individuals/couple.
I know you already have a scythe but in case others are interested I provide scythes for pupils who do not.
If anyone is considering buying a scythe before attending a course I strongly recommend to wait before making a purchase. This is not a sales pitch. Mowing should be a pleasure, which it will be if the scythe is correct for your height, that it is set up correctly and that the mowing technique is correct. For this reason whenever I sell a scythe kit I insist the buyer gives me an hour of their time for some very basic tuition.
To find scythe tutors in your area the Scythe Association has a dedicated page on their website:

http://scytheassociation.org/courses/

Stay sharp,
Adrian
Kim

Post by Kim »

Hi Adrian, our scythe is curved with a smooth wooden handle. I should look up more about them, and how to set it up for my height, etc. It would be a useful skill, as we have a damp meadow and some community areas to cut. Thanks, Kim
Adrian Thomas

Post by Adrian Thomas »

Hi Kim,
If you would like me to come over and see if I can help, or come here if you wish, please send me a PM and we can make a plan.
All the best, Adrian