Ilfracombe

bryonyp

Ilfracombe

Post by bryonyp »

Hi I've just been contacted by a group who are potentially looking to turn an approx one acre field into a meadow. For the last 30 years its been grazed by sheep and then was cut last year. My understanding is that it would be best to create bare soil to sow wildflowers, therefore does anyone know cost and sourcing machinery for this sort of work in the Ilfracombe area?
Donna Cox

Re: Ilfracombe

Post by Donna Cox »

Hi Bryony

Even if a field has been grazed continually for 30 years some wild flowers hang on in there, waiting for a chance to bloom! Unless, that is, the field has had chemical fertilizers applied to it to make the grass grow.

Can the pasture be allowed to grow up for spring and summer? If so, would be worth putting a call out for a local botanist (on local F/B?) to volunteer to survey the site for the group, sometime in June. What species are present can help decide the best management going forward. If it has got some wildflowers present, a simple change in management ie not grazing in spring and summer but switching to autumn grazing instead can make a huge difference. Many pastures on Dartmoor have been restored back to species-rich meadow simply by changing the grazing to autumn.

A botanist can also help advise how much re-seeding is required. They may also know of a local seed source. Spreading green hay from an existing, local, species-rich meadow is the most economic option. Aim for 50% bare soil. A hired in garden rotavator can help prep the soil if doing just a portion of it to begin with.

Donna
bryonyp

Re: Ilfracombe

Post by bryonyp »

Thanks Donna that's very helpful advice, yes I think they would be willing to let it grow this summer and I could maybe ask someone such as Mary Breeds who is fairly local to survey.