Green hay donor sites in East Devon?

Mark Baker

Green hay donor sites in East Devon?

Post by Mark Baker »

We are looking to restore a 6 acre, semi-improved field within Knapp Copse LNR near Farway. It is currently grazed by cattle, but we are looking to restore and switch from pasture to meadow management in this field (surrounding fields will continue to be grazed).

In a new CS Higher Tier agreement for the site we currently have funding for ground preparation, oversowing with a wildflower seed mix (funding based on quotes from Emorsgate etc...) and then ongoing management by haymaking with aftermath / early spring cattle grazing.

Rather than using seed from further afield, Im wondering if there are any good potential donor meadows for green hay in the district? If so, we may be able to adapt our plans if we can convince NE/RPA... Any leads would be gratefully received!
Craig Dunton

Re: Green hay donor sites in East Devon?

Post by Craig Dunton »

Hi Mark. I'm just getting started on the grey long-eared project and am slowly building up some contacts, so will keep this in mind. Would you be looking to cut/bale/transport yourself or contract out? Or maybe use volunteers if smaller scale? Did you have a range of species in mind? Drop me an email if you like and we can chat it over. cdunton@bats.org.uk
Network Admin

Post by Network Admin »

I've linked to your post into the Blackdown hills forum. There are several people there who may be able to help.
Also see Goren Farm seeds, Julian is well connected and provides wildflower/grass meadow seed. See https://www.goren.co.uk/
Becca@Lillington

Post by Becca@Lillington »

Hi Mark,
I have just joined the forum. I would echo the recommendation of Goren farm for local provenance seed. Julian sells seed commercially, both pure Yellow Rattle and an excellent grass/flower mix. If you want seed from fresh hay, I have some friends in the Yarty valley who have very high quality meadows with a good species mix who will probably have green hay available this summer, especially if you can arrange to cut/ bale/ transport it yourself! I will get in touch with them and ask, and get back to you.