Buy local seed wherever possible

Reliable sources to buy, plus seed sharing opportunities from seed gathering to green hay
Steve Pollard
Site Admin

Re: Buy local seed wherever possible

Post by Steve Pollard »

Amy - see my profile picture.
Amy

Post by Amy »

Oh, yes, I hadn't noticed...
Hmm... Schadenfreude, Steve? .. bragging or is the answer that I am unobservant? :D
Steve Pollard
Site Admin

Post by Steve Pollard »

Amy, nah, just Sod's law, of course! - I chased a Small Copper across the field and it alighted on my farm's first ever Fleabane plant, and then the next day the cows trashed it! I'll have to camp out next to it with my cow stick to protect it if I'm lucky enough to have it come back this year. Does it really only come into flower in mid-September?
Attachments
20200916_155009.jpg
20200911_164415.jpg
Amy

Post by Amy »

Fleabane - mine flowers end July-3rd week August, Usually best in first 2 weeks Aug. Romps vegetatively in permanently damp to wet areas, loves peaty soil and doesn’t disdain yucky wet clay. Produces masses of seed, but so far this has not germinated.

Small copper and the occasional fly are the only ones interested.
If anyone (LOCAL to me on Exmoor,) wants to dig some up, pm me. Best way to propagate.

(See, David, Steve, I am learning. Plus pat on the back for link back to your topic
)
Amy

Post by Amy »

Ripe seed in the hedgerows and ditches:

(Timings will of course differ according to local weather, altitude etc. These are some North Devon timings for plants on acid soil.)

June/July - red campion, ragged robin, yellow rattle, cow parsley, wood avens

July/August - bush vetch, meadow vetchling, cats ear type yellow daisies, bristly oxtongue, dogs violet, common valerian, rough chervil, wood avens, nipplewort, cow parsley

August/Sept - tufted vetch, common agrimony, hemp agrimony, knapweed, greater birds foot trefoil, angelica, meadow sweet, toadflax, red clover, foxglove

Sept/Oct: knapweed, tufted vetch, fleabane, toadflax, musk mallow, betony, devil's bit scabious, loosestrife, common figwort, upright hedge parsley, (rowan)

Dec: (guelder rose)

What have I left out?

And the legal position:-
"Picking parts of a plant (leaves, flower stems, fruit and seed) is therefore OK, as long as you don’t remove or uproot the whole plant.".....
Except for a site designated for its conservation interest, such as National Nature Reserves (NNRs) and Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI's) in Britain and Areas of Special Scientific Interest (ASSI's) in Northern Ireland".... and "highly threatened plants that are especially vulnerable to picking
." https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discove ... nd-the-law
Steve Pollard
Site Admin

Post by Steve Pollard »

Further to my previous post about native/local provenance vs bought knapweed. See below pictures taken yesterday (11.08.2021) on Dartmoor. The native knapweed is in full bloom and buzzing with insects, whilst the bought knapweed in an adjacent field has long finished - the significance for a haymeadow being that that doesn't leave a lot of available late season nectar - assuming ragwort and creeping thistle are being controlled.
20210811_132845.jpg
20210811_141055.jpg
Robin

Post by Robin »

That's interesting, Steve, because I've used an Emorsgate mix in part of the meadow and the knapweed that has come up there is still in flower.
Mind you, everything seems to come late with us: we still have plenty of flowers on the yellow rattle!
Attachments
20210816_111712.jpg
20210816_111404.jpg

Return to “Seeding”