Roadside verge projects- linking with other verge projects

Tracey Hamston

Roadside verge projects- linking with other verge projects

Post by Tracey Hamston »

Hi Everyone,
I'm part of a local community wildlife group, BeWild, in Buckfastleigh.
We started a verge project last year, mostly through lockdown. We've got a management plan and agreement from our town council but we'd really like to link up with some other verge projects out there to swap ideas about involving the community and managing volunteers on the project and other verge related stuff.
Please post here or contact me via the forum if you are working on roadside verges and we can help to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Cheers, Tracey
Kim

Re: Roadside verge projects- linking with other verge projects

Post by Kim »

Winkleigh (Torridge) is involved in improving verges, via Life on the Verge, now run by Devon County Council. Hatherleigh is also active on this.
Tracey Hamston

Post by Tracey Hamston »

Great, thanks for your post Kim.
Is there someone who is a contact for either Winkleigh or Hatherleigh? Are you involved with this at all?

Cheers
Tracey
Robert Powell

Post by Robert Powell »

I am seeking to have some of the verge and adjoining grassed areas in the middle of Yelverton converted to meadows. I have been in touch with Jon Valters of Moor Meadows and with one of the local borough councillors. I am seeking the help of someone in Moor Meadows who could join me in meeting personnel from the borough and parish councils on the site to advise on action.
bluemoon_johnny

Post by bluemoon_johnny »

Hi im very interested in talking with you about the project please! yes i would love to help, and learn more , give me a call sometime 07474159371 johnny
Kim

Post by Kim »

Hi, I have been involved in Winkleigh. One contact is via Winkleigh Parish Council website, who will put you in touch with the lead Councillor. Jo Pullin at Devon Wildlife Trust was involved at Hatherleigh. Hope that helps.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Hi everyone, you may already know this but you need Devon County Council on board if you are going to work on roadside verges. The county ecologist gave a talk to our local Parish Council last month.
Hanna

Post by Hanna »

The contact details for DCC ecologist is Tom Whitlock tom.whitlock@devon.gov.uk. There is some information here but some of the links to the guidance doc etc dont seem to work https://www.devon.gov.uk/environment/wi ... r-wildlife
Jennie Richardson

Post by Jennie Richardson »

Hi Everyone .
I am new but very enthusiastic about More Meadows am very keen to start a verge /grass project around the South Hams - especially Modbury ,Ermington /Ugborough . Have you any advice on how we get started . DCC cut our verges through a contractor but many oif the local farmers are also keen to get involved which is great news. I do not want to reinvent the wheel so any ideas welcome .
Bee-wild

Post by Bee-wild »

Hi, sorry bit late responding here but we're starting to manage a number if verges in Yealmpton South Devon for wildflowers. We are not seeding as yet, but mowing a front strip for 'neatness' and cutting 2 verges on an annual only basis and several others 5 times annually to encourage low-growing wildflowers. We'll be using the blue campaign heart signage. I'd love to keep in touch with anyone nearby running similar projects please!
katehopkins66@gmail.com