New service for grassland management

JaneActon
Location: Larcombe, Diptford, Totnes (but actually nearer to South Brent!)

New service for grassland management

Post by JaneActon »

Hello Meadow Makers
I wondered if a new service might be of interest for those wanting to manage their land in low impact ways? We wanted to reduce impaction of our meadow and the land between our young fruit trees to maintain the soil quality for interplanting and also to lock more carbon into less compacted soil. So we bought a cutting machine to be pulled by our neighbours working horses. Please see link 20 sec film demonstrating how easily the working can be done between the trees. In case you can't see this maybe you can see the photo I attach.
All the best
Jane
Attachments
IMG_5784 (2).JPG
Amy

Re: New service for grassland management

Post by Amy »

How lovely. I wish I lived near you at Totnes. I'd ask you to come for the sheer romance of it. It would be even better if you had a horse drawn machine to rake and collect the grass! Best of luck, I hope you find lots of takers.
Moor House Farm

Post by Moor House Farm »

Hi Jane - can you give me some information about your horse drawn seed collector? I have been looking for one for ages - is is a vintage machine or a new one

Any help would be amazing

Simon
Jane W

Post by Jane W »

Wonderful, what a fantastic thing to do.
Inspirational.
I, too, am way too far away to use your services, much to my dismay. But would be really interested in where you bought your tow behind cutter, prices etc, if you wanted to share that info, just in case I could get something similar myself. I always imagined you would need something that moves quite fast to get up the momentum needed to cut grass...but you find that the horse is fast enough? Or is it a motor which cuts but the horse just pulls it along?
JaneActon

Post by JaneActon »

Moor House Farm wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:42 am Hi Jane - can you give me some information about your horse drawn seed collector? I have been looking for one for ages - is is a vintage machine or a new one

Any help would be amazing

Simon
Hello Simon Horse drawn seed collector? Ours a horse drawn grass cutting service. Forgive me I have only just found lots of messages to me here! All the best Jane
JaneActon

Post by JaneActon »

Jane W wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:41 pm Wonderful, what a fantastic thing to do.
Inspirational.
I, too, am way too far away to use your services, much to my dismay. But would be really interested in where you bought your tow behind cutter, prices etc, if you wanted to share that info, just in case I could get something similar myself. I always imagined you would need something that moves quite fast to get up the momentum needed to cut grass...but you find that the horse is fast enough? Or is it a motor which cuts but the horse just pulls it along?
Sorry I have only just seen this message! we bought a Kelfri 1.5m flail mower. This is pulled by the horses and has a tiny engine too. Hope this is useful :)